General registration - internationally educated occupational therapists

If you are an internationally educated occupational therapist (IEOT), i.e. you completed your occupational therapy education outside Canada and you wish to practice occupational therapy in Canada, you must first undergo an assessment of your credentials through the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS) administrated by the Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy Regulatory Organizations (ACOTRO). This process includes Canadian citizens who completed their OT education outside Canada.

Once you have been deemed substantially equivalent by ACOTRO, if you wish to practice in PEI you must apply for registration with PEICOT. After the registration is complete, the PEICOT Registrar will provide you with permission to take the Canadian entry-to-practice exam for occupational therapists - NOTCE, the final step in obtaining full licensure to practice in Canada.

PEICOT application process

Apply to register with PEICOT following these steps:

  1. Send proof of completed SEAS to the PEICOT Registrar.
  2. Set up an account in the online registration system - HMS, choosing new applicant as your registration type.
  3. Pay the application fee.
  4. Once the application fee has been received and the PEICOT Registrar approves your basic HMS account, you will get an email notification. Log into your account.
  5. Complete all mandatory information in your profile:
    1. basic and contact information
    2. education information
    3. employment information
    4. complete and sign the legal statement
    5. enter continuing education hours (if applicable) (continued education section in your HMS account)
    6. enter currency (practice) hours (if applicable) (practice hours section in your HMS account)
  6. Upload required documents:
    1. birth certificate
    2. valid picture ID (in colour)
    3. certificate of professional liability insurance (miscellaneous tab in your member profile)
    4. criminal record screening results document not older than six months (miscellaneous tab in your member profile)
  7. Pay the general registration fee.
    Once the PEICOT Registrar approves your application, your provisional registration with PEICOT will be activated and you will get an email notification to inform you that your provisional registration is complete.
  8. Find your provisional registration certificate and the official payment receipt under payment history in your profile. Print your provisional registration certificate for your records or display.
  9. As a provisional registrant you may only work under supervision. You must secure a supervisor from your place of employment.
    The supervisor must fill out the Supervisor Confirmation Form and email it to the PEICOT Registrar.
  10. Register to write NOTCE and email the registration receipt to the PEICOT Registrar.
  11. Upon completion of the exam, upload your NOTCE certificate in your HMS profile under education.
    The PEICOT Registrar will review the certificate and switch your registration type to general.
  12. Find your general registration certificate under payment history in your profile. Print your general registration certificate for your records or display.

Within three months of initial registration, new registrants must also:

More information

Fee schedule
Registration policies